Saturday, September 20, 2014

Do you mean what you say

Something to ponder............


You know the saying "let me know if you need anything" when you have encountered something in life such as when a family member passed away or when someone is in the hospital? People often respond with "oh I'm sorry to hear that, let me know if there is anything I can do, or let me know if there is anything you need". My question to you today is if you were to say that would you really mean it?

Also if you were the receiver of this statement, would you really call upon that request? Let's say we do and tell the person, "well yes, can you bring some food over" or "I am going to have some difficulty paying the electric bill this month because of X,Y,Z would you mind paying it for me"
What would you say to them? Ok I could say yes to the food since that is not going to cost as much but paying your electric bill? Now that is another story.
Now I'm speaking of mainly friends, co-workers or acquaintances. I am taking immediate family out of this because family are most likely to help family out.

I don't know if there is anyone like me that wonder if people mean what they say in these types of situation. Especially when they say "just let me know if there's anything I can do" First I don't know what you can do, and second I wouldn't ask you for anything anyways. This leads me to believe that this is just a saying that goes with the type of situation that occurs. But.......what if I do ask you to do something, will you do it for me?

So if you were in mourning would you call upon their request if they offered it? And if you were offering support, would you truly commit yourself to do it?

Love to hear your thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment